Patrick O’ Keefe, author of Managing Online Forums was our special one hour guest. In this episode we discussed a wide variety of topics related to managing forums such as:
- A short checklist of things to consider before even thinking about starting a forum.
- Describing the difference between managing a forum and managing a blog
- How can one extend the skills they learn from managing forums to entire online communities
- What do you think of gated communities like Hive or my own Branding David Members area
- You are selling one of your blogs, what do you think of people selling “communities”
- Should every major blog or site have a forum for community interaction
- What is your best advice for someone who has set up a forum, but it hasn’t become a community
Those topics are just the tip of the iceberg! We also had quite a chatty bunch with us in the live chat room which was awesome to see. They provided us with a couple of great questions that Patrick had no problem answering. Although we simply couldn’t discuss everything we wanted to within a 60 minute time period, Patrick will definitely be on the show in 2009 to provide even more insight into the realm of forums and online communities.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Jonathan Bailey Of PlagiarismToday to discuss content theft as well as his blogging career thus far
BLOGGING JOB OF THE WEEK: b5Media looking for bloggers who can write about Cars, Men’s Fitness, Cigars and Liquor and other manly topics. – http://jobs.problogger.net/view/1875
LENGTH OF EPISODE – 1 Hour 16 Minutes
NEXT EPISODE – December 18th, 2008 at 7 P.M. EST
ITUNES – Click here to subscribe to the show via iTunes
DOWNLOAD THE SHOW: PerfcastEpisode16.mp3
LISTEN TO EPISODE 16 OF PERFCAST:
Great interview! I loved hearing Patricks reply to the questions comparing blogs to forums.
I’m not sure being nominated for SitePoint.com awards is a sign you know what you are talking about though as somehow I got nominated for the ‘Blogger of the year award’!
Thanks for having me! It was a lot of fun.