Six Apart, the creators of Movable Type have announced that they have released version 4.23 of the software. This latest version is a mandatory security release and it’s strongly recommended that you upgrade as soon as possible. On top of the security fix, there are also a number of bugs that have been squashed. The MT post does a good job highlighting the specifics regarding the update.
- Release Type: Security Release. This update fixes a potential vulnerability which has not yet been exploited in the wild.
- Mandatory? Yes, this is a mandatory security upgrade.
- Performance Implications: None.
- Plugins Affected: None. Your current plugins should continue to work as expected.
- Templates Affected: An update to the profile view template is required for those customers who use the community template sets and user profile feature.
- System Requirements: This release has no new or additional system requirements.
- Licensing considerations: None. MT 4.23 is a free update for users of any version of MT 4.x.
- Upgrade Fatigue: No further mandatory updates are planned for Movable Type in 2008.
By the way, there is a little editor’s note at the bottom of the release post which states that there was no MT 4.22. The previous version of MT was 4.21 and now the latest version is 4.23. How weird is it that both Movable Type and WordPress released security updates which skipped a version number. Hmm, maybe the two are more related than I thought.