A few sites on the internet have been reporting that sources close to WordPress have intentions of releasing WordPress 2.6 tonight. This release would bring many improvements that have been widely asked for by the WordPress community.
There are plenty new features to keep your eyes on as stated on the official WordPress website:
- Version/revision saves a copy of a post every time you edit it, allows you to view (not edit) each of those copies (revisions), Shows forward (in time) diffs between any two revisions.
- Display captions of images alongside them in posts and pages.
- Add paging of Themes in Design panel
- Word Count displayed when writing and editing posts and pages
- Press This bookmarklet
- Add sorting to gallery
- Export/import post excerpts
- Theme Previewer
- Check (assigned) Categories at top Category box in Write/Manage Post
- Show when a term is both a tag and a category
- Wider Profile fields
- TinyMCE 3.1 [Maybe the horizontal rule issue is fixed]
- Two categories can have sub-categories with the same name
For five long years WordPress has been the staple of blogging platforms, and we will soon is if this release continues that trend.
I only have one question—if WordPress 2.6 is released tonight, when do you plan on upgrading?
[Update: WordPress 2.6 has been released!]