The release of Performancing Firefox 1.3 brings a whole new dimension to the free open source blog editor. By making PFF extensible via the Themes and Addons API’s, and opening up the source code via subversion, we’re putting the blogosphere’s favorite editor where it belongs, in the hands of it’s users.
As always, once you’ve given it a spin, head to the forums and let us know what you think
New features in 1.3
- Addons API
- Themes API
- Localizations – We expect to be announcing PFF in other languages shortly!
- Windows Live Spaces support
- Firefox 2.0b1 support
- Firefox 2.0b1 Spellcheck support via hidden pref
- Sidebar collapser for added posting real-estate
- Added Window icon for “Pff in window” mode.
- Bug fixes and stability fixes
- CSS/HTML editing bug fix
- Clear content when in Preview mode
- Fixed Extra Publishing resize bug.
- Fixed a resize window limitation bug.
- Made a few stability fixes and speen optimizations.
- Fixed some strict JS warnings
The PFF Addons API
The Performancing Firefox Addons API allows developers to integrate extensions and enhancements with the PFF blog editing platform. If you want to create new functionality for PFF, or get your service out to bloggers using PFF, then read the full HOWTO Addon Tutorial here
The PFF Themes API
The PFF Themes API allows designers, or anyone with minimal CSS knowlege to either completey transform the look and feel of PFF, or just tweak certain parts of the UI to suit their needs.
The Themes API would be a great advertisment for talented blog designers, and we hope you’ll take up the challenge (see coming posts on that)..
Read the full HOWTO Themes Tutorial here
Enabling Spellcheck in Firefox 2.0b1
For those running Firefox 2.0beta1, you can enable spellcheck support by doing the following, however please note that enabling this features might cause breakage in Firefox 2.0beta2 and later versions as the spellcheck code is changing alot right now. (In the event this does break in a future 2.0beta build, disable the feature in the same manner)
This is mainly for those like myself that really miss spellcheck in PFF on 2.0beta1 🙂
- Type “about:config” in the firefox location bar and hit enter (without the quotes)
- Under ‘filter’ pase in the following (without quotes): “performancing.extra.doSpellCheck”
- It should say ‘false’ now, if you double-click on it, it should turn to true.
- Restart firefox and pff should now have spellcheck enabled in the rich-editing.
If you do this, please let me know if it doesn’t work for you.
Collaper for left side navbar
You can now collapse both the left sidebar and right sidebar to gain more realestate while creating a post.
Windows Icon for PFF In Window
We’ve added the PFF icon to the system tray and window system for when you have PFF in a floating window. Making it much easier to locate.
Be Sure to Tell Us What You Think!
As always, your comments are most welcome and valued. Tell us what you think of the new features, and particulary if you manage to create cool themes or addons with the new apis!