Why am I so against Adsense? There are a few reasons, I risk getting into a rant if I list them all!
My main reason for disliking Adsense is that it changes people. There are strong publishers who resist the siren call, but in most cases there are two outcomes with Adsense monetization:
- Defeat – The publisher feels a failure because of the measly Adsense payment, if they even get any at all
- Submission – The publisher changes their whole approach to serve the needs of the Adsense block rather than their readers
Often in a last ditch attempt the blogger or webmaster will go from (1) to (2).
What do I mean by “submission”? Well have you noticed the hoops you have to jump through to get good Adsense earnings are mostly not reader-friendly?
- Cloaking ads so they look like navigation
- Blending colors and fonts so they don’t look like ads
- Tuning content so better, higher earning ads display
- Tweaking presentation to increase click-throughs
- Attracting a higher percentage of first time visitors who are more likely to click
- Using misleading headlines to generate search traffic that leaves via ads
- etc etc
By all means make money with Adsense, just please do not get caught into the trap of subjigating your strategy to it or feeling like you are a failure if your blog does not earn the big bucks.
Personally, I go for loyal audience over adsense clicks any day 🙂