I’ve finally managed to finished a book I’ve been spending the last few months reading called “Blogging Heroes” which was authored by Michael A. Banks. The book contains interviews with (at the time of writing) 30 of the world’s top bloggers. People such as Joel Comm, Gina Trapani, Frank Warren, Peter Rojas, Robert Scoble, etc. offer their stories on how they have become successful through blogging.
This post is the first in a two part series which will highlight 30 things I have learned by reading this book.
1. Write only when you’re inspired and write more than you have to. Anything extra you have left over should be set to publish on a future date. Consider this the rainy day method.
2. There is no one “blogosphere.” There is an infinite number of blogospheres, each shaped by the tastes and experiences of individuals.
3. Reader feedback does matter.
4. A specific focus or mission is necessary to sustain a blog.
Mary Jo Foley
5. It is important to take time away from blogging; otherwise, you’ll limit your perspective.
6. An important role of bloggers is to raise questons and encourage others to provide answers in a group setting.
7. Treat comments from others with respect, and they will reciprocate in future comments.
8. Avoid begging for links – it’s counterproductive
9. Don’t worry about being the first to report something new. It is unlikely you’ll be able to do that. Instead, focus on expressing your ideas clearly and with enthusiasm.
10. In the long term, most blog readers are referred by Google or other search engines.
11. Don’t try to jump to number one in your field immediately. A slow start allows you to make the inevitable mistakes when few people are looking.
12. The editorial and business aspects of blogging must be separated as much as possible.
13. Content producers should not be involved with advertising, to avoid even the appearance of advertiser-influenced content.
14. Blog from your heart
15. Blogging’s effects are not limited to the web or technology-it can alos affect local or regional events
These 15 tips are just a sampling of what is presented within the book. Tomorrow, I’ll publish the second half of this series along with the take aways I have obtained by reading Blogging Heroes.