Valleywag has a great heat map defining the four spheres of audience reaction for some top blogs (and some websites). It’s actually more of a Venn diagram, and some of the top blogs are placed within each circle. Only Boing Boing falls into all four circles of reaction. Nothing seems to be in Revenge, and Adult Friend Finder is under Sex.
Here are a few others, although it’s not easy to tell with some blogs/ sites:
- Indignation: Daily Kos.
- Scandal = Indignation + Titillation: Wonkette, Gawker and what appears to be a photo of Michelle Malkin.
- Titillation: YouTube, PerezHilton.
- Lust = Titillation + Stimulation: Apple blog
- Stimulation: GigaOm, Google, Yahoo
- Novelty = Stimulation + Affirmation: Digg, TechCrunch (kinda hard to tell)
- Affirmation: Seth Godin, Lifehacker
- Outrage: Instapundit
I don’t know if I would have come up with the same breakdown, but it’s definitely an interesting premise. In fact, I never considered that there were these partitions in audience reaction. This leads me to ask, where does your blog fall in this Venn Diagram? I think that most of my blogs fall into the Affirmation and Stimulation sections, with a single one in Outrage and/or Indignation.
Now here’s something to consider. I haven’t done a blog by blog comparison, but I vaguely recall Boing Boing having about 115,000+ subscribers in Feedburner (I don’t see a button anymore). Newsgator shows 53K – I don’t remember what Bloglines has. So does that mean that a blog that’s all things to all people is likely to do better? Any comments?
P.S. Where is Slashdot?