Controversy is a tactic bloggers use to generate a buzz about their blog. Think of it like getting into a fight with your sibling or best friend, but within the blogosphere, everyone can read how you approached the situation. You could generate controversy aimed towards an important or noticeable topic, but you could also create controversy with another blogger. I would prefer the former option, but that is completely up to you. Regardless, it should be used sparingly (unless your blog is focused on this type of material).
There are both good and bad points to using controversy, but it is up to you to weigh the risks and rewards.
- Lots of traffic in a short amount of time
- Can bring you many subscribers
- Gets you in the spotlight
- Can make you seem like a genius if you come out on top
- Can instantly make you a reputable source
- Can make you an overnight star within the blogosphere
- Can harm your reputation
- Can cost you subscribers and viewers
- Can come back to haunt you later on
- Might earn yourself some haters (people who love to disapprove of your blog and/or name on the internet)
- Could forever hurt your chances of reaching success
I must again reiterate my advice of only playing the controversy card sparingly. It can quickly become annoying. It will also lose its effect if it is done often. Also, I find it difficult to seriously follow someone who appears to always be making drama for the sake of being in the spotlight.
So tell me, what has been your most controversial article? Also, do you believe controversy is a worthy thing to manufacture for the sake of being noticed?