I’ve been thinking about adding forums to a couple of my more successful blogs. The thought is that while blogs allow for commenting, they aren’t ideal for reader-generated content.
My worries about introducing forums are:
1. Too much moderation work
2. I’ve had too much experience with forums that get overridden with spam
3. Unlike with choosing a blog software, I don’t know the killer app for forums
So let me ask you the following questions:
1. What forum software do you recommend for both its ease of use and its rock-solid security?
2. How do you handle moderation?
3. Do you think that discussion forums can compliment a blog and help create a larger regular readership? Or do the blog comments suffice? Is there too much overlap in functionality?
4. Do you think that adding a forum is worth the effort for bloggers? Some of the time? All of the time?