If you plan to do freelance work as an artist, writer, graphics designer or whatever you are thinking about … This fine list I found on reddit.com today and all those lies are well known and the list is worth being printed out.
Top 10 Lies told to Naive Artists and Designers (by Painter Creativity)
The classical arguments everybody doing freelance contract work knows or should know.
- “Do this one cheap (or free) and we’ll make it up on the next one.”
- “We never pay a cent until we see the final product.”
- “Do this for us and you’ll get great exposure! The jobs will just pour in!”
- On looking at sketches or concepts: “Well, we aren’t sure if we want to use you yet, but leave your material here so I can talk to my partner/investor/wife/clergy.”
- “Well, the job isn’t CANCELLED, just delayed. Keep the account open and we’ll continue in a month or two.”
- “Contract? We don’t need no stinking contact! Aren’t we friends?”
- “Send me a bill after the work goes to press.”
- “The last guy did it for XXX dollars.”
- “Our budget is XXX dollars, firm.”
- “We are having financial problems. Give us the work, we’ll make some money and we’ll pay you. Simple.”
Beside this simple list the page offers counter arguments for every single point. Very useful and recommended to anybody planning to make freelance deals.
Inhale those counter arguments and find your own friendly standard answers before you hear those arguments!
powered by performancing firefox