The world of online marketing is becoming larger and larger as more and more people are beginning to realize the opportunity the Internet has to offer a company. This had led to many company owners to put a great deal of effort into online marketing campaigns, opened up jobs for those specializing in online marketing, and caused many online-only companies to emerge. The only problem—online marketing isn’t always the most fun.
No job is ever fun all the time, but those who find themselves in any given field are usually able to find the good every once and a while. However, this isn’t always the case with online marketing because the field is still fairly new. Company owners are finding themselves having to make extra time for online marketing, and there are quite a few things that can get stressful—countless data and analytics, unpredictable results and changes, intense competition, etc. This then begs the inevitable question: How can I make this job a little more fun and a little bit less “I think I’m going crazy?”
Tips and Tricks to Take the Stress Away from Online Marketing
Fortunately, there are a few things that a company owner can do to help make online marketing fun. Below are a few tips I have learned over the years:
- Hire Some Help. There are actually quite a few professionals out there who enjoy online marketing and all the excitement (or “stress” in the words of some) that comes along with it. If you have the funds, consider hiring a few experts or an outside agency to help you. Online marketing has the potential to really grow your business, so this will be money well spent.
- Hold Contests. There are milestones that you will pass as you continue marketing your company online. Just as many sales departments have a competition for the most sales or the highest sales, you can create a contest for your online marketing efforts. Have a celebration when you reach a certain position on a Google SERP, when you get a good price on a competitive keyword, or when you reach a certain number of Facebook followers.
- Establish Relationships. Because marketing online can sometimes be hectic, many businesses are still going too fast. This is more common when it comes to organic online marketing. For example, companies often contribute guest articles to help generate backlinks. Instead of getting the backlink and moving on, try to establish a relationship with that editor and work with them continually. There are many benefits to keeping in contact with other websites, and it’s definitely more fun.
- Spread Out Your Tasks. This tip works well for any department. One way to help keep the job interesting is to do different things each day. Instead of devoting an entire day to a PPC campaign or spending a whole day writing guest articles, do a little of each every day. This also goes for keyword research, documentation, analysis, and optimization tasks. Spreading out your work will not only help keep you sane, but it will help you make sure you’re always checking up on all of your different online marketing campaigns each day so nothing will pass you by.
- Positive Attitude. Although teetering on the obvious line, your attitude will make a difference. Remind yourself that online marketing is the future of promotion, and your tasks do matter.
Do you have any advice about how to make online marketing fun? Any tools that you think can help make the job less stressful? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Photo Credit: datslocal.com
Amanda DiSilvestro gives small business and entrepreneurs SEO advice ranging from keyword density to recovering from Panda and Penguin updates. She writes for HigherVisibility, a nationally recognized SEO consulting firm that offers online marketing services to a wide range of companies across the country. Connect with Higher Visibility on Google+ and Twitter to learn more!
Author: Amanda DiSilvestro
Amanda DiSilvestro gives small business and entrepreneurs SEO advice ranging from keyword density to recovering from Panda and Penguin updates. She writes for the nationally recognized SEO Company HigherVisibility.com that offers online marketing services to a wide range of companies across the country.