Follow-Up to Search Engine and Social Media Shenanigans: Yahoo! Blocks Other SEs From Spidering Del.icio.us?
OK, Yahoo! blocks spider from other search engines. Who cares?
How-To create your own copy of your del.icio.us bookmarks
It is as simple as creating a local copy of all your bookmarks stored at del.icio.us. Basically you have two pretty easy possibilities:
- Static del.icio.us copy via export
- Syncing your del.icio.us feed into an RSS feed aggregator
And maybe somebody has some cool ready made del.icio.us API solutions to offer (I don’t).
Let’s elaborate about the two mentioned possibilities…
Straight forward: Static del.icio.us copy
Del.icio.us offers an export function. Play around with it and create static pages in your webspace. Having static bookmark.html pages is not a bad choice.
- Use keywords as filenames.
- Take a look at this SEO relevant article: Matt Cutts About Subdomains And Subdirectories
Tip: There used to be some Firefox Add-Ons around which could sync your del.icio.us account with the local bookmarks. The right del.icio.us add-on could help a lot.
Tip II.: Define and subscribe to some del.icio.us add-on and/or tools search feeds. The link list in the article will Desktop Research: Trends 2008 (Bonus: OPML File) help.
Advanced: RSS aggregation of your del.icio.us feed(s)
It is only very little initial work necessary but with the help of a database, an RSS aggregation software and some reblogging tool you can create a synced copy of your future del.icio.us bookmarks.
The important thing is to find solutions which will keep your del.icio.us RSS feed items. A simple subscription tool will only show the actual feed content.
My del.icio.us RSS feed aggregation software tips
My latest Bookmarks (feel free to send me a beer for the great free resource 🙂
- del.icio.us … aggregator software
- del.icio.us RSS aggregation
The recommended software which I have tested
- Gregarius – A Free, Web-based Feed Aggregator To-Do: Is republishing or reblogging possible? Is ist only a reader? … Gregarius is a web-based RSS/RDF/ATOM feed aggregator, designed to run on your web server, allowing you to access your news sources from wherever you want.
- reBlog by Eyebeam R&D – RSS aggregation and reblogging software … To install your own reBlog, you will need a server with PHP, MySQL, and Perl CGI scripts.
I am using Gregarius with a pretty straightforward standard installation. Click on the link to see my personal syncronized del.icio.us repository realized via RSS feed import.
I have once installed reBlog once but they have a crazy security concept (if I remember right). It was something about having the admin directory above the user pages without additional login security. I did not get it to work with the standard html security options.
Combination of both or using the del.icio.us API
I can’t help you too much with the combination and esp. not how to bring both solutions together but maybe there are some del.icio.us API gurus around who will write a little program???