What Are You ABOUT

Since I’ve started to blog on serious level, I’ve come to find out that the most important page on my blog was the About page. I’ve spent quite a bit of time browsing the web and I’ve noticed myself looking for the About page quite often as the sites purpose was not immediately defined. I’ve […]

Why Community Matters

Ryans message brought home to me just how important community is. People make a site such as this work, not technology, and certainly not “page rank”, “traffic” or “search engine rankings”. There have been numerous cases where I have been so grateful to people who have supported me through the many ups and downs of […]

Building Community: Post often and give your readers something to talk about

A few months ago traffic at my Freelance Writing Jobs blog had stalled at about 1500 visitors per day. I wasn’t getting many new visitors and hardly anyone on the weekend. Page views were way unimpressive. I had been so busy blogging for others; I was neglecting my flagship blog with only a few posts […]

Social Voting Help From The Performancing Community

Need a little nudge on your favorite social voting site? If you post a link to your Reddit, Digg, Netscape, etc. submission in our new social voting forum we’ll vote it up around 9am Eastern time. Conditions: 1. The link should be a net benefit for the online community (spam will not be promoted) 2. […]

Six Ways to Build a Core Group of Fans to Start Community on Your Blog

A hit on digg, reddit, or any of the vote-em-up sites, will bring traffic, but that traffic is worse than fickle. Most such visitors click in and out faster than we can measure. They don’t stop to read. They don’t look around. Some don’t stop even to glimpse or gander. A great blog builds traffic […]

Looking for a Hosting Sponsor for Performancing Community

Im looking for a hosting company that has great offerings for bloggers, one we’d be proud to recommend and could do so with conviction, as you’d be hosting our community on a well spec’d dedicated LAMP server. Please email me if that fits you: performancing@gmail.com thanks!

Amazing that Community Members Will Invent their own Badges!

With partners about to be turned off, it’s amazing that at least one Performancing member would want to show his support for the community regardless and modify our house ads to display a kind of “community badge” — See the right hand side near the top on the link above. Thanks Kirk!

Is Your Community Legal? Xanga Fined For Under Age Users

If you run a community one of the tricky tightropes to walk is that of data protection and privacy. All to often communities fall foul of this, finding out their seemingly industry standard approach has dropped them in hot water, as Xanga found out. Check out the story at MSNBC.com Xanga.com, a rival to the […]

Is the Digg Community Its Own Worst Enemy?

In all online communities there is a point, somewhere north of “critical mass” that marks a transition from benevolent community fluffiness to evil dictatorship in the eyes of a voiciferous minority of it’s top contributors. I think Digg may have reached that point if the rant, and subsequent uproar of it’s former top users leaving […]

Obsessing Over Numbers

Stats, numbers, high scores, weight lifting, golf handicap … the number doesn’t matter, it’s how well you improve. I am hesitant to link to the post that inspired me to write this. Unfortunately the original thread is one of those name-calling-mud-slinging-blog-punch-ups that do nobody any good, least of all the readers. Inside the comments though […]